When you give, be sure your selected charity employs standards and policies that assure you of a “bill of rights” as a donor. You have the right to:
- Know how the funds of an organization are being spent.
- Know what the programs you support are accomplishing.
- Know that the organization complies with federal, state, and municipal laws.
- Restrict or designate your gifts to a particular project within the organization’s mission objectives.
- A timely and courteous response to your inquiries about finances and programs.
- Visit office and program sites of an organization to talk personally with the staff.
- Give cheerfully without being pressured by the organization.
- Obtain a copy of the organization’s most recent audited financial statements.
- Know that there is a responsible governing board providing oversight to the organization’s mission.
- Know that all appeals for funds are truthful and accurate.